Do you also get confused with the paper work of arranging visas? Do you want to work abroad, but don’t know how to organize the bureaucracy? Well, maybe this post can give you some light about all this!

There are many kind of visas and the prices vary. Whether you are going abroad to study, work or just travel, foreigners should have this authorization stamped on their passport to get into a country. The most common types of visas are for transit, tourism, business, working holiday, student and residence. However, it is important to highlight that conditions and procedures vary according to your nationality and destination.

Transit visa

The transit visa is used for people who are passing through a country, before going to another one. It varies from several hours to even 10 days and it may be required even if you are not leaving the airport or the passport control. For example, if you are going to Australia through New Zealand, you’ll have to issue a transit visa, no matter if you are taking the aussie flight in, say 10 hours or 10 days.

Tourist Visa

This is the most common authorization. As the name says, you’ll issue the tourist visa if you are traveling for leisure purposes. And, legally speaking, you’ll not be allowed to have any business related activity. Also, conditions may vary, like one or multiple entry visa and length of stay.

Business Visa

For practicing commercial activities. Usually, people who apply for the business visa have to be fully employed and with regular wages and benefits. For that reason, sometimes the company/employer must prove that you are their employee and that you are going abroad exclusively for the company’s interests. This kind of visa is very common among employees who are going to another country to join a business conference and events.

Working holiday Visa

Now, things may get a bit confusing. The working holiday visa is a mix between the tourist and business authorization. Usually applied by young people and/or students, the working holiday visa means that, while traveling, you are allowed to have a temporary job, with regular wages, either if it’s to cover your traveling costs or learn different skills. For example, it’s very common for korean students to go to Australia or the U.S. to learn/improve their english by working on a hotel or tourist related jobs.

Student Visa

I don’t know the numbers. But, I would say that the big majority of the student visas are for exchange student programs. Specially in Brazil, it’s getting more and more common for students to go abroad for say, 6 months, to study. Or, even if it’s for less time, if you just want to do a course or something. However, no matter for how long and what you are going to study, if it’s something official through an institution, most of the times you will be required the student visa.


If you want to live in another country for a long time (varying from country to country), this one is for you. Obviously, the residence authorization permits you to legally live for a limited amount of time abroad. However, it is important to highlight that, even with the residence visa, you are not a citizen of the country, which means you can’t, for example, participate in elections. To complement, some nations require that you get a residence visa before you take the next step to be allowed to permanently live in the host country.

Ok, so, now that you have a better idea about the most common types of visa, I reckon it’s also crucial that you get to know about how to get them. From embassies to internet, there are different procedures to issue your authorization. There are 3 main ways of getting your visa:

Visa prior to arrival

Depending on the facilities, this visa requires the biggest effort. The easiest way would be the e-visa. Just access the country’s e-visa website and fill in the blanks with your info. Usually you will have to print a paper to show on the border and they will stamp your passport.

However, sometimes, you will have to go to the embassy. It is as it sounds. It will require more time, patience and energy. And, depending on the case, you will have to go to another city or even another country to issue your visa. For example, I’ve met quite lots of people in Istanbul issuing their indian visa, because they couldn’t find an embassy on other countries they were traveling in.

In rare cases, if you want to travel to Bhutan, for instance, they will ask you the visa even before buying the flight ticket.

Visa on arrival

Simple like that. Once you are in the airport, land border or port, just go to the customs and immigration office, pay the fee, give few 3×4 photos and you will be done.

Again, it’s crucial for you to get informed and know how to proceed to get your authorization. The bureaucracy differs from country to country and nationality to nationality. For example, there are specifications like the duration of stay, territory covered, date of validity and validation for one or multiple entries in the country, between others. Depending on destination, they may ask for it even before selling you the ticket. It’s important to highlight that the procedures to get those differ from one another and it’s your responsibility to get informed and have all the paper work done before getting into the country. For example, brazilians don’t need visa to go to any European Union country. However, they should have their visa stamped on the passport before leaving for the U.S.

Leave a Reply